Snort- An Open Source IDS in Freebsd 10 or above
Snort is basically an Intrusion detection system and may also work as Intrusion prevention system too in online communication. It is very easy to install and use in packet logging and traffic analysis.
Today, we’ll see how to install snort first and then in our next post, we’ll show you how does it work.
How to install snort in Freebsd 10 or above from online repository:
1. Go to terminal and switch yourself to super user.
2. Use the command to install snort in the system:
[email protected]: /home/xyz# pkg install snort
3. It will check if your repository is updated or not and then will ask to download some MBs of data. Please allow it to do so.
How to install snort in Freebsd 10 or above using ports:
1. Go to terminal and switch yourself to super user
2. Use the following command to install:
[email protected]: /home/xyz# cd /usr/ports/security/snort/ && make install clean
How to install snort from online available source package:
1. Go to snort.org and search for “Downloads” link.
2. Download the latest available source package as in our case is snort-22.214.171.124.tar.gz as shown in the picture:
3. Click on the link and download it in your home folder(or any other folder of your choice).
4. Now go to that folder using terminal and some commands will do the rest.
[email protected]: /home/xyz# tar xvzf snort-126.96.36.199.tar.gz [email protected]: /home/xyz# cd snort-188.8.131.52 && ./configure
Now that command may cause error if dnet libraries are not installed. Error would show up like this:
Now to resolve it, use the following command:
[email protected]: /home/xyz# pkg install libdnet
Try reconfigure and it should work fine.
[email protected]: /home/xyz# make [email protected]: /home/xyz# make install
Wait for the installation to complete and once done, verify it by checking the version using the following command:
[email protected]: /home/xyz# snort -v